On December 24, 2015, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) issued NOT-OD-16-045 – Notice on Salary Limitation on Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Contracts.
The DHHS salary cap is established as Executive Level II of the Federal Executive pay scale. The Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016 (Public Law 114-113), which was signed into law on December 18, 2015, increases Executive Level II pay scale from $183,300 to $185,100 effective January 10, 2016.
- All new and competing NIH applications should reflect the new cap of $185,100. The S2S Grants system has been updated with the new cap.
- Salary earned between October 1, 2015 and January 9, 2016 is capped at $183,300.
- Salary earned between January 10, 2016 and September 30, 2016 is capped at $185,100.
- For awards that were proposed at the previous rate of $183,300, but are awarded at the new rate of $185,100, NIH generally will not increase awards to cover the cap. In most cases, PIs may rebudget under NIH Standard Terms.
- Refer to the Notice of Award and NIH Grants Policy Statements for specific information pertaining to each award.
Please contact your OCGA Team for further clarification or assistance.